The Tatras and Pieniny: two diverse mountain landscapes, a single historical and cultural region
The field trip will start on Saturday 29th April 2023 at 7:30.
Number of places available for the fieldtrip: 50 maximum on a first come first serve basis.
Meeting point: Pedagogical University of Kraków, Podchorążych 2 (main building).
During the field trip, we will see two very different mountain massifs. The first one is Tatra Mts. – the highest mountains in Poland with an alpine environment, glacial relief, and MaB national park which have to face an enormous number of tourists. The second one – Pieniny Mts. – does not reach even one thousand meters a.s.l., but has the unique nature of limestone rocks and an absolutely beautiful Dunajec River Gorge. We’ll see it from the traditional rafts, which will take us for an 8 km sail. On the way back to Krakow we will see an example of the traditional sheep cheese production process.
During the field session, topics of specific nature, history, culture, and tourism management of both national parks and the whole region will be presented.
- morning meeting point Pedagogical University of Kraków
- bus trip to Zakopane town
- 40 min walk to Kuźnice
- cable car to the summit of Kasprowy Wiech
- bus trip to Pieniny (with lunch break somewhere in the middle)
- The Dunajec River Gorge traditional rafting
- shepherd’s hut with sheep chees
- back trip to Kraków (late evening hours)